Saturday, August 1, 2009

A Week With My Family

Monday we headed out on a plane to Bloomington, Ill, to visit my sister and her family. We originally talked about going over the forth of July, then there was talk about them coming here, but the dates came and went. Then my sister decided they were not able to make it out this summer (my nephew is having surgery), so we decided we would just go there. My brother, with his two older boys, were already out visiting my mom and dad in Missouri and they planned on driving up (7 hours) to see my sister this week. We thought it would be nice for all of us to be together for once. The last time we were all together like this was at our wedding over 3 years ago. It was a very short trip for us, as we returned Friday afternoon, short, but long overdue. We had so much FUN!!!


Jayla was a happy girl for the first 30 minutes of our flight out there. She then screamed for 30 minutes, until she passed out for the rest of the flight. We thought she was a nightmare until we took our flight home which made her look like an angel. She SCREAMED and kicked the entire 3 hours of our flight home. We knew she wouldn't enjoy it, because she is such a busy body. Sitting still is not her thing. We just never dreamed it would be that horrible. At one point I looked at Jearel and asked if he still wanted more kids. His answer was of course NO. Lets just say we will NOT be flying anywhere in the near future. And YES we are still trying for more kids.
The first night we got there we went to watch my 4 year old nephew Tyler play in his first T-Ball game. It was so cute watching all the 4 year olds just stand there watching the ball go right by them.
Jayla and Erin (my 10 year old niece), watching Ty play ball.


Erin and Jay. Jayla was so attached to her.
My handsome little nephew, Tyler.
Jayla was ready to play ball. Hopefully she will be a 3rd baseman like her mama :).
Daddy was trying to teach her how to swing the bat.
Jayla got some work outs in on the treadmill. The first time she got on it, she was pretending to run in place. My guess is she has seen people do that at the gym we go too. She is one smart cookie.
A little more exercise on the BIG ball. This was her favorite of course.

My brother and his two older boys, AJ and Cameron.
My sister's house is BEAUTIFUL and HUGE. Their entire neighborhood was breath-taking. If the winters weren't so brutal, I would move there in a heart-beat. We spent most of our time in the basement, at their fully stocked bar. We called it "Jodi and Tom's Cantina". We never had to leave the house. Drinks, food, family, and loads of fun while never having to worry about a DD. It was perfect.
Jayla was obsessed with this little car. I now know that we have to go buy her one. She climbed in and out, in and out and honked the horn over and over.
Jayla playing with her Grandma (my mom)
This was one of the few pictures of me, since I am always the one behind the camera.
Enjoying a ICE cold beer from the Cantina.
My mom with AJ and Erin, watching Tyler play another T-Ball game.
Jayla with all of her cousins from my side of the family (minus Brody my brother's youngest)
They all played so well together. Jayla really likes being around other kids.
She was so spoiled by them. They all took turns reading her books.
We took all the kids to a park. Something you can not do in Phoenix right now. The weather was so perfect.

Jayla was having so much fun on the swings.
We didn't know that the park was going to have a splash play area. Jayla went right in and got wet of course. Here my mom was trying to give her some flowers (maybe to help get her out of the COLD water)
Jayla was done with the flowers in all of 1 second, then it was back to the water.

Jayla trying to get her cousin, Cameron, off her car so she could go for a drive.
She couldn't figure out how to drive anywhere so she just pretended she was moving.

Silly girl!!
Jayla has a hard time around men. I felt so bad for my dad, he tried and tried to play with Jayla, but she was scared. This was the only time that I saw her finally warm up to him and was full of smiles.

My family all in one room. This doesn't happen much so I ran upstairs to capture the moment.
My world!!! I love my niece, nephews and daughter more than words can say.
Grandma and Grandpa Skorstad (my mom and dad) with almost all of their grand kids.
I'm hoping someday Brody will be there too.

Jayla saying goodbye to Grandma. They were only able to stay a few days. It is always so hard not having my parents living close to us. I know Jayla loves and misses them so much, gods knows I do too.
My sister's neighborhood is very family oriented. She started a thing called Flamingo Friday's to get all the neighbor's together every Friday for drinks and play. It is very casual and all the neighbor's take turns opening up their porches/yards to everyone, Happy Hour style.
On Thursday you put out these pink flamingos in your yard so the neighbors know where they are going on Friday.

Jayla was having fun playing with the "biries".

Jayla had so much fun playing in Erin and Tyler's sandbox. She even asked her daddy to build her one at our house :).
Jayla is such a lover, well only when she is not pinching. We call her our sour patch kid. First she is sour (pinches) then she is sweet (kisses and hugs). She really only pinches with excitement like a love pinch, but man does it hurt ;).
Jayla began to try and climb on top of the car. Her cousin Tyler sat up there all the time, why couldn't she?!

She was singing me a song here. She sings all the time.
Erin is such a good little hair dresser. She always wants to style my hair.
She even let me borrow a sweat shirt of hers because it was so cold in the basement.
Thanks Erin!!
Erin bailed on finishin my hair. She had to go play with some of her friends, so Jayla took over.
It is so cute how Jayla catches on to things so fast.

Tyler even had to get to work on my sister's hair.

Jearel spent most of his time behind the bar, doing what he does best, mixing us some shots and cocktails :).
Erin and Jay were BFF's by the end of our trip. Since we have gotten home Jayla keeps walking everywhere saying "ERIN".
They were playing monkey see, monkey do at the airport.

This was the last of my happy girl. Then onto the LONG plane ride home.

~Thank you sooooo much to my sister, Jodi, and Tom for everything. You always make us feel so welcome and spoil us rotten. We had so much fun, maybe a little too much. We are exhausted after a week of drinking and little sleep. So worth it though ;).
Thank you Mom and Dad for making the long trip up. It was so nice to have everyone together. There is NOT a day that doesn't pass with out missing you all. We love you all so much. Lets try not to let too much time pass before getting together again. Here's to hoping you all can make it this way for the holidays.
XOXOXO~

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok love all the pics..esp the one with gma gpa and all kids ( so need to frame it)...lv seeing jay with her cousins to cute...and i think she needs one of those cars lol....i had one when i ws around her age my mom said and i loved it lol.....glad u got to hang with ur fam....i knw u miss them....and ur sis house seems amazing i wanta go next time!! lol...they are so much fun! ...all the pics were great ! sorry bout jay on the way home im sure she will grow out of it girl :)

Candis said...

Ohh goodness- so much to say on this one. Here goes:

- That picture of Jayla on Daddy's lap is so cute, and something about her eyes/expression totally looks like YOU.

- I love her cheesy smile with the purple flower clip in her hair, by the car! Looks like she needs one of those cars too, huh?!

- I WANT to do Flamingo Fridays!? That is the #1 difference of living here vs. the mid-West. Every time I go to Chicago, I get jealous- since there are NO walls between neighbors, and they seem to do SO many more activities outside & just with family/friends.

- It looks like you guys had a blast (despite the rough trip home.) Maybe next time, Jayla gets a little Whiskey slipped into her sippy cup!? Haaa I joooke.

Jenni said...

Wow, this might be the fastest post you have ever got up! I figured that I would have to wait a whole week to see pictures from your family vacation! And what a vacation it was! WOWZERS!

I am so happy that you were able to get some quality time with your family and that almost all of you were together! I love the picture of Grandma and Gramps with all of the kids! I especially love the one of your dad trying to win over Jayla's heart. I know he wanted to so bad, he is amazing with kids!

Your sister's house looks beautiful and you weren't kidding about her fully stocked bar! GEEZ! I love that she does the Flamingo Friday's thing! Tacky, but so cool at the same time! Want to do this too...how do you set one up between friends that live is separate neighborhoods that are far from each other? Who knows, but lets figure it out!

Candis said...

Now I know where Jay gets her LOVE of water from- her Lifeguard Mama! haa, too cute.
So, Wet 'N Wild: I'd say WORTH it if you got the year pass, but NOT worth 1 visit, paying $30+.

I would go maybe in Sept. before it closes, so maybe the lines would be shorter. They are LONG now. We only went on 3 slides! (But I wasn't feeling well- was actually really nauseas most of the day & the night before??)

The kiddie area is awesome, but it's more for 3 or 4 yrs+ I think. I didn't see a baby pool or anything for the younger munchkins.

All in all, a fun day- but not quite worth the money for a 1-stop visit.